Wouldn't it be interesting to put things on our New Years list like...love myself more...nourish my creativity...play with abandon...get more sleep...breathe deeper... ? For a lot of us, it can be really hard to believe that we deserve self nourishing and comfort when we feel that we have let ourselves fall short of our dreams and desires...but truthfully, I think it is the best thing you can do. Being kind to ourselves doesn't necessarily mean forgetting about that diet once and for all or cutting ourselves more slack on a project, but maybe it means re-examining and looking through a different lens at who we are and where we are going.
The word REJUVENATE means to give new strength and energy to something or to restore it to an original or new state. Maybe we need to give ourselves the month of January to do a soul nourishing reboot and the gift of renewed energy, vitality and faith in our own power to choose.
Here are 10 ideas to rejuvenating your mind , body and spirit this month as we prepare for a happier and more fulfilled New Year:
1. Start a JOY JAR...Find a beautiful container and place a pad of paper beside it. Everyday, look for reasons to be grateful and jot them down onto a paper. Continue to do this all month long and either review these at the end of the month to reflect on all of the good in your life...OR let them accumulate all year long ...spend the first day of the New Year reading all of the beautiful reflections of the past year. What a great way to get your mind and spirit soaring with happiness and gratitude!
( This works great as a birthday idea as well)
2. Give your self a daily 1 hour device free zone...ideally this is a great thing to do the hour before you go to bed. This allows your mind time to relax and unplug from social media, news, emails, and all of the general distractions that we look for from our devices.
3. Move for 15-30 minutes daily...Although we know that movement is good for us in an assortment of ways, what I am suggesting is moving your body in ways that allow you to feel connected and respectful of your body. When we look at movement as a metaphor for the flow in our lives, it is easier to take it on as a daily means of showing ourself love. Stretching, yoga, walking, dance, martial arts...whatever makes you feel the connection between your body and your soul...allow this time to be used as a way of showing your body gratitude for all that it does for you.
4. Create a Dream or Vision Board...This can be a wonderful project not only to align you with the things you truly wish to manifest in your life, but it can also act as a lovely creative outlet where you spend some quality time alone with your dreams. Allow your mind to expand with all of the possibilities that your life can deliver. ..Add colour and flair and let the sky be the limit...Unleash your true potential for thinking BIG. Whatever we can see in our mind, we can create in our life.
5. Create a soundtrack of your life... Spend some time thinking about the kind of music that really lifts you up and makes you smile...maybe even want to dance. Create a list of your favourite songs that you can plug into at any time when you need a little pick me up...Create another list of songs that really puts you in a chilled out space...the kind of music that soothes your soul and lets the creative juices flow or just lets your mind completely relax ..plug into this whenever you are feeling stressed or just need a little zen time.
6. Find a hobby...They say that doing something you love with intense concentration is as powerful as meditating when your attention is laser focussed in one place. Find something that you love to do and create space for it on a weekly basis...it doesn't have to be a lot of time, but remember, it's a little investment in your creativity and a reward for all of the hard work and effort you put into the rest of your life. Maybe it's knitting, or reading, or flying model planes, or fishing...schedule it in as non-negotiable even if you only have 30 minutes a week to dedicate to it...your soul will thank you.
7. Pay it Forward...we all know how good it feels to give. This little exercise doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming, but it does need to be something you give from the heart without expecting anything in return. It can be something as small as paying for the car behind you's coffee at the drive through...or it can be stoping to help an elderly woman put her groceries in her car. What is awesome about paying it forward is that it completely takes us out of our own egoic mind and allows us to shift our focus to being of service. Done regularly, it can be a wonderful way to increase our own sense of worthiness and belonging, while sending good energy out into the world.
8. Reach out to someone whom you have lost touch with...We all have someone in our life who for one reason or another has fallen out of our circle. Maybe it's a relative...maybe it's a friend or an old teacher or mentor. If there has been a falling out, work to resolve the issue...say I'm sorry or take the first step to offering forgiveness...If time has just been the thief...take back the day and reach out. Write a letter , send a card, or pick up the phone...the act of reaching out will make you feel more connected not only to those around you, but to yourself as well.
9. Take a Bath...Once a week give yourself the gift of relaxation for 30 minutes in a warm tub. Pour 1 cup of Epsom salts, 2 tbsp of Baking soda, and 3-5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil . Breathe in the aroma and allow the salts to drain toxins and stresses from your joints and muscles and the beautiful lavender transport you into blissful relaxed state.
10. Create a Sacred Space...The purpose of a sacred space is that it is the one place where you can be totally YOU without distraction. Maybe it's your favourite chair or a small desk in the corner of a room.
If you don't have a space that you can dedicate to just you, find a basket that you can outfit with your journal, your favourite pens, some of your favourite tea, a special treat or candy that you love, some lovely cards, or beautiful paper for writing letters or just doodling. Whatever makes you feel at peace. Maybe your space is out in the garden or on a path near your home and all you need is your sneakers...Whatever it is for you, create some time in your schedule to enjoy the bliss of your own connection. Commit to having a date with yourself on a weekly basis...there is someone very special waiting to get to know you a little better ;)